Jonatunet was built in 1934 as a tuberculosis sanatorium, situated in a beautiful park overlooking the fjord. The wooden house has four levels and the total area of the building is 1500 square meters. From 1959 it gradually changed to an institution for pshyciatric patients. The institution was closed in 2009.
Thanks to the former owners, Helse Fonna and the municipality of Jondal, for handing over the property to the Hardanger Academy in December 2014 to create a center for peace, development and environment.